Sunday, February 5, 2017

What a shithouse week

What a shithouse week



[By Murray Dewhurst in Auckland]

So there we were last Saturday, one week out from Christmas at our last group sketch meet of the year. We met at the Waikumete Cemetery.

Its weird but it was my suggestion we came to sketch here in the countries largest cemetery a few weeks earlier. I thought Itll be cool, we can draw all that historic cemetery stuff, the chapel, the mausoleums etc, it will be really interesting and well get to visit my grandparents plot as a bonus.

As it happens though, not one, but two of my good mates died last week. Two of the most generous guys I know and both extremely funny blokes gone way too early. Paddy, of melanoma and Dan of cancer.

What a shithouse week, and what a weird, weird place to finish it.

(sketch above; some Waikumete mausoleums - a veritable whos who of early Dalmatian settlers to New Zealand)

Available link for download

No comments:

Post a Comment